Business Graduate Programme
Competitive package + half day on Fridays
Start date: Q1 2022
- In a nutshell, we move people, building buses and coaches and are proud that more than half of the buses you see on the roads in the UK built by Alexander Dennis. We have a huge responsibility for keeping the world moving.
- Not only do we build them, but we also look after them once they’re on the road. We call it Aftermarket, but really this is not too different from the type of support you get when you buy a new car.
- We are saving the planet. Our purpose is to support Governments globally with their push to reduce pollution and improve air quality by building greener, more eco-friendly buses.
- We love our customers. So much so, almost every bus we build is bespoke – what the customer wants, we will do our best to deliver.
- We have a fantastic Canadian parent company called NFI. They welcomed us into the family in 2019, and we haven’t looked back ever since.
- There is no doubt about it – it was a tough 2020 for Alexander Dennis. But now we are building back, winning new orders in Germany and Ireland to name but a few, which will be manufactured right here in the UK.
- Our global footprint is pretty impressive. We have a presence in some super cool places across the world from Hong Kong to Auckland to Toronto.
Want to know even more? Check out our YouTube channel here!
Your Dream Role:
We are looking for two exceptionally bright, driven, and practical Graduates to join our team. The programme will run for two years and will see you rotate around a selection of the key functional blocks/departments:
- Commercial and Business Development – this is our customer facing teams, responsible for pricing, winning tenders and managing contracts amongst other things.
- Procurement – we spend hundreds of millions of pounds each year with our suppliers. Our Procurement the team is responsible for finding and motivating the best suppliers in the world to partner with us.
- Operations – this is where we build our bespoke vehicles and includes, manufacturing engineering, supply chain, production, and quality to name a few.
- Aftermarket – this is everything from procurement, material planning and operations through to parts sales and technology platforms - not to mention physically servicing and maintaining customer vehicles.
- Supporting functions – the diverse, complex, and dynamic teams behind the scenes that are key to making us a success, finance, marketing, business excellence, HR etc.
Placements are typically in six-month blocks; however, it is important that you are happy to flex in line with the changing needs of the business. Each placement will be a combination of business-as-usual activities, project work, as well as formal and informal training. The range of activities you could be working on are business wide and you can be assured you will be working on meaningful projects where you will be able to make a big impact.
Alongside being assigned a Mentor and before starting a new placement, your host manager will meet with you to talk you through your objectives for the months ahead. These will be monitored and updated throughout and at the end of each placement there will be a review. You will also have the opportunity to liaise with your fellow Graduates on various projects throughout the programme.
- We don’t mind what your degree is; but it would be great if you had a keen interest in our industry and what we do. More importantly you’ll have an insatiable intellectual curiosity.
- Curious, driven and prepared to challenge the status quo – bringing a fresh perspective and new ideas to the table.
- Things can be hectic here. You will remain calm under pressure and have the ability to prioritise a busy workload.
- You’ll need a strong work ethic, a can-do attitude, a positive outlook, as well as plenty of enthusiasm and energy.
- Analytical and with strong problem-solving skills, you will go into each new placement with the same level of excitement and energy as you did your first one.
- Our six values can be found on our website. Over time and with an ongoing commitment to the Alexander Dennis; opportunities will arise that can provide you with the chance to progress into a leadership position. With that in mind you will be able to demonstrate these values today and throughout your career with Alexander Dennis and beyond.
- You’ll have excellent communication and stakeholder management skills, being able to clearly articulate your points, as well as influence and negotiate at all levels.
- Finally, you must be excited by an extremely hands-on role and culture where you will have the opportunity to influence the challenges you are asked to undertake, enjoy being challenged and stretched to achieve high performance and deliver results.
- The opportunity to work for a company doing amazing things for our environment.
- A competitive salary package – we aim to reward our people at the level they deserve.
- A half day every Friday. Yes, every Friday. A long weekend, every weekend.
- You will work with some incredibly intelligent and driven people and get involved with complex projects which you won’t find anywhere else.
- We don’t employ people and tell them what to do. You will have the opportunity to change and improve the way we do things which is always good for your personal development.
If this sound like you, and you’re interested in joining a highly successful, international business then please hit ‘Apply’ now! Along with uploading a copy of your most up-to-date CV, it would be great if you could write a short covering letter detailing the reasons why we should hire you.
Please note applications will close on Sunday 5th December 2021.
What will the recruitment process look like?
Firstly, you will be asked to attend a telephone interview and if selected beyond this stage it will be more in-depth Zoom interview. Your final interview will include a presentation by you on a topic provided in advance.
We care deeply about being inclusive and we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Due to the volume of vacancies and applications, we would prefer that you submit your application online. If, however, you require an alternative method of applying, please give us call on (phone number removed) or send an email to (url removed)
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide any financial information. Please get in touch if you see any roles asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information, visit jobsaware.co.uk.