Are you a Graduate looking for the next move in starting and growing your career?
Part of the Pennon group, at South West Water we believe that the strongest businesses are built on solid, stable foundations - with a vision and a culture that gives them the freedom to change, improve and innovate. We’re responsible for providing reliable, efficient and high-quality drinking water and wastewater services for the beautiful South West area. And we have huge ambitions. Not only are we committed to reaching net zero by 2030, but we’ve also partnered with wildlife charities, National Parks and local partners to help ensure a better future for generations to come. So, if you want to be part of a diverse team where opportunities flow and fresh ideas are welcomed, #JustAddWater.
We currently have an opportunity available for a Graduate to join our Software/Machine Learning Development team in Exeter. Joining us on a full-time, permanent basis, you will receive a competitive salary of £25,500 per annum, increasing to £30,000 over the 2 years, plus excellent benefits including relocation support and an annual bonus.
What’s it all about?
SWW in partnership with the other academic and other organisations in the supply chain is exploring the use of AI technologies to improve sewer surveying practices. The project employs machine learning and computer vision techniques to CCTV sewer surveys in a real-world environment. The project is tasked with automated annotation of sewer surveys and plans are in place to extend investigations to full robotic automation of the surveying process.
The Graduate Software/Machine Learning Developer will support the onward development of this cutting-edge project, we are offering a graduate position to work as part of this project.
What you’ll be doing:
- Developing skills and understanding of software development and machine learning
- Analysing quality and coverage of the current CCTV image database
- Supporting the development of existing and new features of the automated annotation technology
- Reviewing the current market and literature for AI surveying solutions
- Reporting on performance of the latest project developments
- Assisting with the planning of the project’s timeline and helping to identify (and manage) risks to the project
What we are looking for:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent through relevant training and experience
- Experience of working within a similar sized organisation in a fast-paced delivery role
- Excellent analytical skills, with the ability to consider data and evidence, the ability to draw out implications of different options and make recommendations
- Understand and have experience of different data gathering methods and tools, data management, analysis, and visualization techniques
- Able to work accurately, prioritise work and manage time effectively
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing to colleagues including senior managers
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn about machine learning and data science techniques
- Software development/programming experience. Although not essential, having at least a foundational understanding of programming will open many more opportunities for direct engagement with current work. Note that these skills will be further developed over the course of the placement
What's in it for you:
We know that the support and commitment of our staff is key to our success so you will receive the opportunity for ongoing development and training for a long-term career with us. We’re one of the largest companies in the South West and are proud to have been awarded Investors in People recognition.
In return, we offer an excellent range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday allowance plus bank holidays
- Relocation Support
- A discretionary Annual Bonus
- Competitive Contributory Pension
- Access to the Company Sharesave Scheme
- Various health benefits
- And more!
Be yourself, we like it that way. Together, we will build a culture of belonging, where inclusion is instinctive. Diversity is our strength and a reflection of our communities. We care, we value everyone, we celebrate uniqueness.
Our core values which are essential to our success are:
- Trusted - We do the right thing for our customers and stakeholders.
- Collaborative - We forge strong relationships working together to make a positive impact.
- Responsible - We keep our promises to our customers, communities, and each other.
- Progressive - We are always looking for new ways to improve and make life better.
Closing date: 20th February 2022
If you are looking for a new challenge, please click apply now to be considered as our Graduate Software/Machine Learning Developer - we look forward to receiving your application.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide any financial information. Please get in touch if you see any roles asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information, visit jobsaware.co.uk.